ICSI is an acronym which stands for intracytoplasmic sperm injection which is a fancy way of saying “injecting sperm into egg”. It is counted among one of the most effective methods for fertilizing eggs in the IVF lab as soon as they are aspirated from the female. It is primarily used for treating male infertility problems. IVF, when performed using ICSI treatment, involves the utilization of specialized micromanipulation equipment and tools and inverted microscopes which allow embryologists for selecting and picking up individual sperm in particularly designed ICSI needle. The needle is carefully administered through the eggs outer shell and the egg membrane and then the sperm is injected into the cytoplasm that is the inner part of the egg. This leads to normal fertilization in approximately 80 to 85 percent of eggs injected with sperm. However, first the woman should be stimulated with medicines and have an egg retrieval process so that eggs can be acquired for IVF and ICSI.
Who is the Right Candidate for ICSI?
When it comes to who can undergo this procedure, there is no “standard of care” in this medicine field. Some infertility clinics prefer this treatment for treating severe male infertility while others use it on every case. Most clinics prefer this treatment in the middle of these two extremes. As far as FSIVF is considered, we recommend this treatment to an increasing number of patients. Being the leading ICSI Center, we use the most advanced technique to ensure effective results.
Listed Below Are Some of the Most Common Reasons to Perform ICSI
- In some cases, it is recommended for couples having low yield of eggs at the time of egg retrieval. In this case, this method is used to get a higher percentage of eggs fertilized in comparison to traditional insemination of the eggs.
- Severe male infertility that do not prefer donor sperm insemination
- Having former IVF with a low rate of fertilization or no fertilization
- Couples having infertility with:
- Low sperm motility – lower than 35 percent
- Sperm concentrations of less than 15 to 20 million per milliliter
- Very poor sperm morphology
At FSIVF, we understand the problem couples suffering from infertility are going through. Hence, we believe in providing quality care and treatment at our ICSI Clinic in Delhi. if you want to know more about this method of ICSI treatment, schedule an appointment right away.