San doubts, it is quite understandable that women's health issues are not easy to deal with. Especially when you are trying to conceive or have some other female problem. The biggest issue under the circumstances is to make the right decision ab
Usually, gynaecologists-obstetricians recommend fruits to pregnant women. Eating fruits help pregnant females get proper nutrition. Pomegranate is one of those recommended fruits. As you are pregnant for the first time, you might have queries about the benefits of pomegranate during pregnancy. Keep reading this post to get your queries resolved.
Nutritional content in pomegranate
Originally from the Middle East, pomegranate is a tree that grows upto 5-8 feet. It grows well in the area that is around 1000 metre below sea level. People grow it as a medicinal, fruit, and ornamental plant. As per a study, this fruit has vitamin C content around 40%. And this content is enough for the daily requirements of vitamin C in adults. In addition, it has the following nutritional elements:
- Vitamin K
Benefits of eating pomegranates during pregnancy
As a pregnant woman, you are the only feeder to the foetus. You should be aware of what you should eat and what you should avoid for the betterment of the baby in your womb. Pomegranates are one of the fruits that you should eat during pregnancy. Having a look at the following benefits of pomegranates for pregnant women can make you comprehend why you should eat this fruit:
- Improve digestion - Pomegranates have a good amount of fibre. Due to this, consuming this fruit helps you stay away from several digestive disorders such as constipation. It optimises your digestive system and helps in stimulating bowel movements.
- Prevent iron deficiency - Eating pomegranates can help you be sure about the presence of sufficient iron in your blood. A pomegranate has around 40% vitamin C content. Such a presence of vitamin C helps your body absorb iron from what you eat and lowers your risk of anaemia or iron deficiency that causes preterm delivery.
- Safeguard from free radicals - Due to some bodily processes, your body has free radical formation. In general, these radicals are waste in your body and can turn into toxins. Your body should flush it out. If it does not go out from your body, it can damage your body and placenta by interacting with your DNA molecules or healthy cells. Consuming a pomegranate a day can help you get rid of free radicals and the antioxidants present in this fruit helps you repair the damaged cells.
- Prevent cramps - Potassium facilitates your body muscles to work better. And as a result, you have no or low cramp experience during pregnancy. It means your body should have enough potassium to avoid pregnancy cramps. Consuming a pomegranate daily can help you in this regard.
- Support the brain development - Folate is a crucial nutrient for the proper mental development of the foetus. It facilitates the formation of neural tubes and the nervous system of the baby in your uterus. So, you should eat this fruit to keep the brain development of your baby on the right path.
How to consume pomegranates
You can eat a pomegranate by peeling out its outer skin. Further, you can make juice and fruit salads to eat pomegranates.